Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Link-ing In With a Little Help From My Friends

It's time for me to come clean. As much as I love social media, I do not spend the time on LinkedIn that I should. So I took a stroll through some of my favorite places on the net to find some usable advice that would be easy for me to make LinkedIn more manageable.

Some 'best practices" from the people I respect.

Everyone and his brother will tell you to be sure that your profile is at 100%. Not a problem, I always take those little percentage bars as a challenge and that has been done since day one.

First stop, Gini Dietrich over at The Fight Against Destructive Spin . She recommends "Spend 10 minutes going through your LinkedIn groups and answering questions where you have expertise and can position yourself as a thought leader."....OK I think I can do that over my after-work cup of coffee.

My Franchising Friend Paul Segreto recommends "making sure to use each networks "notifications" features effectively". I am pretty sure that when I set up my profile that I probably did not how to do this. Classic social media newbie that I was, I just didn't know how this could be effective and helpful. You can keep up with Paul on his blog Franchise Essentials .

The LinkedIn Man himself, Jason Alba, Author of "I'm on LinkedIn. Now What?" recommends on his blog, to use the questions and answers features to build your network and to be involved in intelligent conversation.

Decided: I can follow Paul and Adam's advice is Gini's recommended 5 minutes a day. If I become a LinkedIn addict....I am sure I can find plenty to do on http://www.linkedintelligence.com/.

1 comment :

  1. Just found your blog, Lorri. Nice. Thanks for the mention and glad you're using some of my advice!

    ReplyDelete