Friday, April 30, 2010

For One Week - It's not about you - Try it

Earlier today I read "Social “Me”dia Syndrome: A Deadly Epidemic" on PersonalBrandingBlog.com.

I started thinking "What would happen if for one week your social technology usage was not about you?"

My tweetdeck has become a feed of shameless self promotion, and honestly it is making me a little cranky. The social media rockstars will tell you that the industry is about engaging. Engaging is why I have been connecting with people online for a decade.

So for one week lets try this.

No self promoting of your blog posts
No self promoting within your blogs
No self promoting of your latest webinar, podcast or speaking engagement - let them speak for themselves!
No retweeting those who retweet you
No retweeting ANYTHING with your name in it
You can say Thanks for the RT or Thanks for promoting my blog without including the original message.

You can say Thanks for the FollowFriday recommendation without including their recommendation.

Let's see what a week of engaging and supporting others looks like -

Ah...so that I do not seem hypocritical - FYI as soon as I hit the 'publish' button on the post it will automatically hit my faceook feed & my Tumblr page>twitter. That will be it - I will not schedule via su.pr for better publishing times.

No comments :

Post a Comment