Thursday, May 26, 2011

Please hold my tiara while I blow my nose

The last few days have been hard for me. My son has headed off to his new duty station half way around the world. As always, I am more than proud of this young Marine, but my mother’s heart doesn’t know how to deal with not seeing his face for a year and a half. I take solace in the fact that he is not heading to a war zone, but that doesn’t ease the missing him.

Yesterday, when he called to say I love you from tarmac, prior to lift off I did OK, but as soon as the good- byes were said – the water works started. As Oprah says – I was ‘ugly crying’. I turned to a friend, I sat in her office, she hugged me as my body shook with sobs, told me she loved me. She listened to me. There was nothing else she could do – but it helped.

Today, I talked to a friend as she was leaving the hospital. She has yet another appointment with an oncologist tomorrow, to find out if any treatment plan is available to her. She has been running her own business for 5 years, just as long as she has been fighting cancer. I wonder how she has managed to do this. How has she not given up? Then it struck me – she wasn’t afraid to reach out for help either.

Some days being tiara worthy means not being afraid to ask for help.

Holding out a hand of support does not mean having the answers or a solution. Sometimes it means handing over the tissues.

1 comment :

  1. He is a brave young man and you are a strong military mom! We are here for you.

    ReplyDelete