Sunday, February 24, 2013

The Four C's of Social Media

As any good tiara enthusiasts will tell you the four C's normally stand for color, cut, clarity and carat. I am finding that the four C's apply a little differently to my social media efforts. 

I was listening to Deb Evans and AK Stout Social Geek Radio and their interview with Jason Falls, They were talking about creating content to increase visibility for your personal brand. I was struck by the this bright idea. I was also struck by my own obstacles. 



  1. Content -What are you about? What do you share? 
  2. Curate - I'm great curator I write newsletters based on curating articles. I find awesome things to share on social media and I share a lot. 
  3. Communication - Connecting takes time. Working full-time can hinder this effort. It's on par with trying to hold 100 conversations at once. Just as in real life you need to prioritize your connections. Family and friends first, followed by the ones that are always there for you - then the ones you find interesting. 
  4. Create - Falls, though not the first or even only social media enthusiast to say so, says we should focus on creating content. I have been called creative (among other things - but that is another blog post) frequently. When it comes to creating content, I get stumped. 


I decide to stop and think  "What are my talents?", "What can I create?"

I can paint but it's hard to share that digitally and  I haven't bothered to look up copyright laws, and I don't really want to be in the position where I have to sue the  pants off anybody. (The picture above was painted my me and you CANNOT post it as your own!)

I can write.  Thiblog has historically sort of been mostly around my work, Every interview I have seen with a successful writer has included the advice "write everyday.' As a result of looking at my content, I think it's going to become more about whatever happens to be inspiring me on a particular day.

I can brainstorm - not the normal, sit around and throw out ideas, but in a way that makes people seek me out, to help them make their ideas better.  I don't know what to do with this.  How do you create content by being a brainstormer? And why can I do it for others and not myself?

1 comment :

  1. My experience has been that "idea people", as a general rule, are not good at sharing or closing. I can only speak for my field of endeavor, and the reality there is that there are idea people who provide the spark; content people who are usually the most knowledgeable on subject matter (SME's); and closers - the people who put everything in order and make it pretty. Good researchers, as you are (and I am) are content people. Don't knock it - Go with it!

    ReplyDelete