Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Lean In to the Tiara

I am currently reading Sheryl Sandberg’s book Lean In. It has been touted as a feminist manifesto. I don’t know about that, I think there are as many versions of feminism as there are women.  I agree with her basic premise that men and women are different and that women will never move forward until they take responsibility for their own success.

Sandberg mentions something at the end of chapter 4 that caught my eye.  Anyone who has read the book and knows me has probably been waiting for this blog post.  She mentions that women fall victim of “Tiara Syndrome”.  According to the book this phrase was coined by Carol Frohlinger and Deborah Kolb, founders of Negotiating Women, Inc. This syndrome is basically the “believing that good job performance will naturally lead to rewards.” “Women expect that if they keep doing their job well someone will notice them and place a tiara on their head.”

Sandberg says to not sit around waiting for power, because like the tiara it may never materialize.

I think Sheryl needs to come hang with me. Yes, women need to seek promotion and believe they deserve it…but if there isn’t recognition in your immediate future, not everyone is always in a position for upward mobility or a new opportunity..

 …put your own damn tiara on your head!


Sandberg, Sheryl (2013-03-11). Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead (p. 63). Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.

No comments :

Post a Comment